Tuesday, August 15, 2006

 

Our New Puppy

This may come as a surprise to you as it did to me, but today we got a new puppy. My friend Kari has a beautiful daughter named Megan. Megan's aunt promised her a puppy for her birthday coming up in a few months. Today, they drove to pick up the puppy she's always wanted, a long haired chihuahua that she named Bella. When they arrived, Bella and her brother were the only ones left. Megan and her aunt decided that they couldn't leave Bella's brother there and decided to buy him as well and look for a home for him.

Well, while we were at work today discussing classroom numbers (which are not so good with little relief coming anytime soon), Kari decided to bring the little black puppy in to see if Ben and I might like to keep him. I was hesitant because I like to pick up and go as I please and it's hard enough to find a sitter for Fred. But then I thought about Sasha who is on the road quite a bit for both "business" meaning chemo and social work on the coastal islands of Alaska, and pleasure and she has two dogs that she could not live without. I thought of Ben who dragged me to the shelter where I cried and vowed not to return until we were certain and serious about adopting a dog.

Kari said that there was no pressure and that I could return him if I felt the responsibility was too great. So little Bula came home with me today. I had this great plan that I would open the door and let Bula into the house and hopefully get to see the shock and joy on Ben's face when he saw his boy. Well, it didn't quite work out that way. When I pulled up in our alley, Ben was heading back to the house from the mailbox. It didn't look like he could see the dog as it was camouflaged in my black shirt. But I thought he might notice it so I had to think fast. As I drove by, I rolled down the window and placed Bula in his arms and said, "Here's your dog." (Yeah, I know, creative thinking.)

Ben was definitely surprised. He said, "Are you serious?" A pause. "Romy, whose dog is this?" A pause. "Is he really mine?" A pause. "Are you serious?" I never spoke, but I thought I might cry, he was so happy. So we took Bula home and then off to the vet to make it official. Bula was surprisingly happy to have the thermometer in his butt. When the vet left the room for a moment, I heard Ben say to Bula, "You're not supposed to like that, dude." (I'm sure you can picture Ben saying that.)

Anyways, Bula is fine. He will have some vaccinations this week and be neutered next month. Right now we are in the process of crate training him which is horrible for me. It is almost 3 in the morning and he has momentarily stopped crying. I just took him out to do his business, but all he wanted to do was play. The vet urged us not to play with him at this time or we will always have problems and the older he gets, the harder it will be for him to learn new ways of behaving. I guess that's why they say, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

He is just adorable, though, and we have had many offers for a babysitter if and when we need one. Megan also would like to arrange play dates for the siblings. I am attaching a picture of our new baby. He is a little over 4 pounds. His dad weighed 4 pounds and his mom weighed 8, so he probably won't get much bigger. He is a doll. He is black with white socks and a white tie on his chest and a little sprig of white hair on his head. (I have never used the word "sprig" in my life. Is that a word? If not, it should be.)


Comments:
Oh, my God, that little thing has similar coloring to my baby's. Can I call him Bah-Bula? Welcome to the world of doggy ownership! But remember...you don't own them; they own you. Love, Gabby
 
Oh my god is right! I'm so excited. Your little boy found his humans and I'm certain he's a lucky one. You guys will be so amazed at how much fun he brings into your life. I honestly think that dogs are a big reason I no longer own a television. I can spend hours just watching them and they always provide a good reason to get out of the house. Since he's the variety of dog that practically fits in your pocket, you will find it a breeze to bring him just about anywhere. One thing about chihuahuas especially, is that they absolutely live and breathe to be with you. Just married and already popping out babies. . . you sure didn't wait long. Good for you. This is the best decision ever. Yay for Bula!! You know my friend Buford is also commonly referred to as Bula. Its a great name. Congrats on the new addition to the family!
 
Wasn't there something you wrote about in Fiji called Bula?
 
I can't help but keep coming back to this picture of Bula and Ben. I just want to eat little Bula he's so cute!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?