Tuesday, November 17, 2009

 

Houdini


This morning I woke up and checked Houdini's bowl as usual. He was upside down, as he has been most of his life, but he was still alive. This week, it seemed like he had a stroke and could not change positions even if he wanted to. I knew that he might be dying. I stepped outside after checking on him. It was dawn, but the sky was still dark. An owl flew out of my neighbor's tree and back into it as a shooting star raced across the sky. I thought this may be some kind of omen. I went back inside and Houdini was dead.

I am so sad. I remember when Houdini came into my life. Kari's class was doing some sort of science project and each group of students had their own betta fish. When the project was complete, the fish remained and Kari offered them to teachers at Park Oaks. I came in to see which one I wanted and knew right away. Houdini's fins were long and curly like hair and purple on one side and blue on the other.




He was magical. Arul, one of my favorite students to this day, brought him over to me with the rest of his team. His name was Spikey then, and the kids were all so happy that I picked their fish.

It's been over 3 and a half years since he became mine. The first time I cleaned his bowl, he jumped down the drain and there were moments where I considered turning on the garbage disposal to put him out of his misery. But I persevered and got him out, crying as I did it, scared that I would hurt him in the process. This week when I was changing his water, he jumped out of the net again and then out of my hand. Once I grabbed him and cupped him in my hands, I thought, "This may be the last time." It was.

I love Houdini and will miss taking care of him. That's all there is to say.


Comments:
Doll, I will also miss Houdini. He was a cool and wacky little fish. Love you
 
rip precious houdini.
 
Dear Romy,
What a great life Houdini had! Maybe he heard about the famous mexican song:
Lindo pescadito, no quieres salir, a jugar conmigo vamos al jardin...
 
OMG I love you and Houdini! that was so touching! you are an amazing person and so caring! You are a good mama!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?